Part of the "fun" of travel is "meeting" attractive peoples
from other countries. A new website is making it easy to hook up
with foreigners, at least British ones, without even boarding a plane.
Now, American ladies can easily track down and compliment British dudes
on their accents thanks to DateBritishGuys.com.
According to the site, it offers a "unique dating opportunity" to men
and women "looking to add a little diversity to their love lives,
meeting that special American woman next door, or that dashing British
gentleman you've been waiting for is simple on our easy to use
interface." Yes, at last, dating national stereotypes can be easy.
The website held its inaugural party last Saturday in an East
Village bar with the England vs. U.S. World Cup match playing, which
seems weirdly antagonistic considering the circumstances.�
DateBritishGuys.com is the brainchild of one cross-cultural couple: Ben
Elman, Brit, 30, and Rebecca Elman, Yank, 24. They met in a London bar
five years ago. Three years later, after he had moved stateside, they
married. With the new site, Elman has said he’s “on a mission to pass on
the love my wife and I have to the rest of the world.” The couple’s
story is currently listed on the website’s “success stories,” and thus
far it’s the only one.
The dating scene can be a scary place, especially now that we live in a digital world. Online dating is the new way to meet people and it brings its own set of rules. Ben Elman, the founder of DateBritishGuys.com and Love Becca, gave Marvelous Girl some great online dating tips:
1. Instant message before meeting in person. It’s a great way to get to know someone without nerves of a face-to-face meeting. You can build rapport and get out some of those pre-first date jitters.
2.Check out your crush’s Facebook page to get a better sense of who they are. Think you’re interested in someone, but aren’t 100% sure you want to take it to that next level? Ask to see their Facebook page. You’ll get a better idea of who their friends are and how they interact with them, what they’re interested in, and the activities they enjoy doing. You may even find out you have a few friends in common.
3. Plan a daytime date. Break free from the traditional dinner and drinks. Dating during the day opens up the possibilities for dating activities. Take a trip to a museum. Check out an art gallery. Go rock climbing. Doing an activity together can ease some of the pressure and make the date feel less like an interview. Plus, you can avoid the awkward “Are you coming over to my place” question that always seems to arise at the end of the evening.
4. Opt for brunch over dinner. Maybe you like the idea of getting to know someone over a meal, but agree that dinner can often come with some uncomfortable strings attached. Meet your date for brunch instead. Brunch is often a more casual atmosphere, which can have the added effect of making you feel more comfortable. There is also less pressure to consume alcohol, which is great if you are a bit of a light-weight drinker.
5. Leave your Ex at home. Your date knows you’ve had relationships in the past, but they don’t want to hear about them on your first date. Mentioning where you and your Ex used to go, what you did together, or how they broke your heart will only make your date uncomfortable. Of course, if things get serious you’ll eventually want to share your past with your new love. But for now, keep it light and positive.
About: DateBritishGuys.com was proudly launched in 2010 by Love Becca LLC. A family run business, Love Becca was founded by Ben and Rebecca Elman as a resource for young professionals looking to stay in touch with friends, meet new people and build a social and professional network of contacts in New York. Love Becca made the decision to start DateBritishGuys.com after identifying the growing demand for eligible British bachelors among American women. Aiming to revolutionize the online dating industry, DateBritishGuys.com takes a unique approach to internet socializing by prioritizing two key components: authenticity and customer satisfaction.
the London-bred Ben Elman married his Connecticut-born wife on New
Year's Eve in 2008, he was inundated with requests from her American friends desperate to
be set up with single, British men. Two years and one aha!
moment later, Ben and his wife Becca created DateBritishGuys.com,
a dating site geared toward American women looking to meet and date
Brits. The site launched the first week of April 2010.
That's all fine and dandy, but Christian Bale's abs aside, why should
us American ladies date a Brit? Ben gives five reasons below.
1. The Accent
Guilty as charged. Ben's got us on this one. For some mythical
reason, American ladies turn into googly-eyed golden retrievers when in
the presence of a British accent.
"Put a British guy in a bar
full of American women and let them hear
his accent. Within one minute of him ordering, I'll bet you $100 one of
the girls will approach him and ask him if he is British, followed by
some story about a trip they may have been on or planned later that
year to the UK," Elman says. "It is like a superpower that only the
ex-pat Brits and Australians are aware of. I honestly have no idea as
to why this is the case—but it is."
2. British Men Have Been Raised With Royalty, And Treat Women
American ladies with a taste for the finer
things in life would do well dating a British guy, Ben says. You can
thank the Royal Family for this.
Hmm. Seems questionable, but we'll take his word for it.
"An American woman deserves to be treated like a real princess, and
British guys know a lot more about royalty than their American
counterparts. Education in the UK goes far beyond school subjects and
grades. It includes etiquette, manners...
ultimately, how to address a lady. So really, Brits come far more
qualified for the job."
Fancier Than Americans, British Men Are Less Prissy
You want a man's man wrapped up in luxury? Done! Just
don't focus on the teeth. Or clothes. Or scent.
"Well, OK—Brits do tend to have the worst teeth in the world, often
forget to shower and are light years behind in dress sense—but
teeth can be fixed, new clothes can be purchased and the smell can be
washed out. But why would you want to do that? Real men give off a
scent that can't be bottled up and sold."
4. British Men Are More Rugged
Ben thinks that all of that superfluous padding in American football is for
babies. British men aren't afraid to get a little knocked up.
"While American men are playing dress-up with big head guards and
shoulder pads for their next football game, British guys are playing
rugby without any protection. Stupid? Possibly. But it does beg the
question—which one would you rather have protecting you in a dark
5. British Men Love American Women
According to Ben, in order to impress a British man, all we have to
do is show up and be ourselves.
"The big reason why American women should date British men is that we
really love American women. That is no offense to British women (my
mum's British!), but American women are just so much more aggressive,
dominant, colorful (in dress), independent and appreciative. I feel
appreciated more when I buy dinner for an
American woman than any British date I ever went on. Why is this? Who
knows? I think there should be a long bridge built over the Atlantic
Ocean and passports should not be needed to cross."